Saturday, October 16, 2004

The Honda Goldwing: Man or Myth

The Honda Goldwing: Man or Myth
by: J. Montgomery Spencer

Last fall I bought Lou Lohman’s 1981 Honda Goldwing. This massive 1100cc motorcycle was picked up for a song after Alex ran it off the road a couple years ago. So this spring I finished restoring the 23 year old motorcycle. And in the last few months I have wasted no time on my feet or in my four wheeled cage. But you may be asking yourself, “How great can this marvel of modern machinery be?”

The Goldwing has been called the Cadillac of motorcycles. Well I can think of about five Cadillacs that this bike puts to shame. (The slant-back Seville and Cimarron come to mind) With a twist of the wrist this 700 lbs. vehicle roars (roar may not be right word, as all you hear is an impressive whoosh) onto the pavement seemingly with no effort at all.

As you start from standing stop to redline, you’ll notice a smooth powerband. Shifting into second, you’ll most likely notice how much over the speed limit you’re doing. Just keep shifting till you’re in top gear and watch that beautiful blurry thing we call America pass by.

What I like most about the Wing is the fact when you are riding two-up, it feels like riding one-up on the various other bikes I’ve ridden and owned. Taking short, sharp, S-turns with 150+ lbs. of camping equipment has little effect on this bike’s handling.

The Wing is great for cross country, back country, the daily commute, a quick trip to the city, a last minute run to the liquor store, a victory ride back from the liquor store after getting in right before it closes, and the late afternoon ride around the lake. And that’s just what I’m going to do, as soon as I’m done with this cop-out ending.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home